When brought into an online business/website project, the skills that I bring to the table are technical, of course, but many past and current clients have remarked often that I am “much more” than a developer because I offer actionable advise related to use of peripheral knowledge related to building a sustainable business.
Technical WordPress Development Skills
- Knowledge of WordPress CMS dating back to late 2006, when WordPress was rather new. During that time, I’ve dived into WordPress functions and have written very elegant (and challenging) customizations that were designed to meet the needs of the project with minimal use of plugins.The custom code that I’ve written is “theme independent” and forward compatible with future updates to WordPress because I will not use deprecated functions as a starting point. My primary consideration when designing such code considers ease‑of‑use for the website owners/administrators/members.
- I am proficient with the following programming languages:
- CSS & CSS3
- HTML & HTML5
- JS & JQuery
- I am proficient with the following supporting technologies:
- Types of sites that I’ve developed:
- Membership sites using Wishlist Member plugin
- Membership sites with BuddyPress plugin
- eCommerce sites using WooCommerce and CS-Cart
- Sites including forums using either SimplePress plugin or stand-alone forum software
Beyond WordPress/Development Knowledge
My past work experiences have put me into a unique position to help any business owner with realize their website goals. These include, but aren’t limited to:
- More than 25 years of corporate technical background. During that time, I worked my way up the ladder to lead teams in leading-edge technologies to the mix at a time when mainframes were “in vogue” for most corporations.
- A position of Internet Development Director was created and I was chosen to select and manage this team of internet-based application developers for a Fortune 500 firm in Minneapolis in 1994. Under my guidance, this group delivered an online billing system and an Intranet that won an award from CIO Magazine.Word of our team’s success with the e-Billing project got around and it was a great honor to be invited to speak at Network World on the topic of eCommerce.
- As a Director of Information Technology for another Fortune 500 firm, system improvements were implemented with literally no budget that assisted in increasing share values by more than 200%.
During my time as a Realtor, I gained great insights into building my personal brand and effectively marketing properties to both entry-level buyers as well as those in the market for high-end estates. This included a number of tactics such as direct mail, print ads, in‑house marketing materials, the use of advanced technologies for capturing leads who called for toll-free “walk throughs” of the properties. I was the first Realtor in my office to employ the internet for lead capture and follow‑up, as well.